Thursday, December 16, 2010
How To: Prevent and Repair Split Ends
We've all dealt with split ends before. If you're trying to grow your hair, or just maintain healthy hair it's important to try to prevent split ends. So what are the best ways to do this? We've got some great tips on prevention and repair!
To prevent split ends:
1) Try to put heat on hair only when necessary. After washing your hair, air dry it, and try not to pull out the curling irons and flat irons more than needed.
2) Don't brush your hair too much! Brushing is great but excess brushing can lead to split ends.
3) Splurge on good quality hair styling products. There's generally a reason they're more expensive. The money you spend on products will be saved in less trips to the salon for trims.
4) Have hair trimmed when needed. Don't wait! And be sure to trim hair with good quality scissors.
If you already have split ends and want to improve the appearance of hair:
1) Shampoo hair and deep condition with good quality conditioner. Be sure to leave conditioner on hair for at least 20 minutes.
2) A moisturizing or smoothing serum may help. Apply a dime sized amount to hair and work throughout.
3) When drying hair, make sure hair is completely dried so it doesn't frizz. This makes split ends more noticeable.
4) Be sure to visit your hair stylist as soon as possible for a trim! We know trims can be scary, but they're necessary to maintain healthy hair.