Wednesday, December 29, 2010
How To: Keep Color Treated Hair Healthy
We all know color treated hair is harder to keep healthy. If you want to make a change and opt for some color, it's important to take extra care of your hair to keep it vibrant and healthy. How do you do that you ask? Lucky for you, we've got some great tips to keep your color treated hair beautiful.
1) Before you color your hair, deep condition it. Do this a few days before treatment. Conditioning your hair prior, will ensure that it's in healthier condition which will prevent excess breakage of hair during the actual coloring treatment.
2) Once your hair is colored, be sure to throw out your old shampoo and conditioner and buy products that are specifically for treating and moisturizing colored hair. This is very important, as chemically treated hair is more fragile. Regular shampoos and conditioners may be too harsh for hair, buying new products is a must. Ask your stylist for recommendations.
3) To make your color vibrant for longer, shampoo in cold water. Hot water makes hair color fade.
4) Try to put less heat on your hair. After washing try letting your hair air dry from time to time. Also, try not to curl/flat iron hair as much. Adding heat to color treated hair makes it more susceptible to breakage.
5) Avoid sun damage. UV rays can be detrimental to color treated hair. If you plan to stay in the sun for long periods of time wear a wide brimmed hat or apply a leave in hair spritz that contains sunscreen.